When Life Changes, Should Your Divorce Order Change, Too?

Life does not stop changing and adjusting simply because your divorce is final. In fact, many people find that some of the biggest life changes come well after things are resolved and the final order has been signed. The Henrico attorneys and team members at Robert L. Isaacs, P.C., help our clients deal with these changes and other post-divorce complications by seeking a modification to an order or assistance with enforcement of terms in the order.

Certain life changes and issues may mean that the terms of your current order are no longer applicable or beneficial. Sometimes, one party may refuse to abide by the terms of the final order, leaving the other party to deal with the consequences. Our team seeks effective solutions to these matters on behalf of our clients.

Appropriate Reasons For A Modification

In some circumstances, a parent can seek a formal change to a custody plan if the current one is not working, the custodial parent is unfit or the terms are no longer in the best interests of the children. In many cases, modifications pertain to support orders because financial circumstances have changed. Some reasons to modify a support order include:

  • The supporting parent lost his or her job.
  • The supporting parent has gained a new job with higher pay.
  • The child's needs have changed.

If you believe that your circumstances merit a change to your existing order, we will help you seek appropriate modifications that will more appropriately match up with your needs and abilities.

Enforcing Support Or Custody Orders

Once an order is final, both parties are legally required to do what the terms require of them, including paying support payments, bringing the child back after visitation on time and more. When one party refuses to abide by the terms of a family court order, it can cause complications for every member of your Virginia family. If you are experiencing this, we will petition the court on your behalf to compel the other person to comply.

Help For Your Post-Divorce Concerns

If you have post-divorce legal concerns, we can help. Meet with a lawyer at our office location in Henrico to discuss your specific case and legal options. Email us here or call 804-728-0228.